Friends’ Home Page
NEXT USED BOOK SALE: Thursday, September 13, 9:00-5:00.
Issue 3 – 2018_summer (Friends’ newsletter)
membership application form
NEW OPPORTUNITY TO HELP THE FRIENDS:
Amazon Donates to Friends of the Library
Next time you want to order from Amazon.com, instead order through their satellite site Smile.Amazon.com, and they will donate 0.5% of the price to FOL!
If you go to https://smile.amazon.com/ch/57-0810157, then our FOL is preselected and “Supporting: Oconee County Friends of the Library” will show up directly under the search bar. All your regular Amazon account information and Wish List will still be active. Or you can go to amazon.com and in the search bar type in AmazonSmile. It will ask you to select a charity, so select Oconee County Friends of the Library (The one in South Carolina). Once you’ve done that you don’t have to repeat it as the web site smile.amazon will take you there automatically.
Emily Whitmire Sluder, Seneca Branch manager, alerted us to this wonderful, absolutely effortless way of making money. The percentage we get back is small, but gee, if we had 0.5% of Amazon’s 2016 sales, we’d have $680,000,000. 😉
The Oconee County Friends of the Library was organized in 1985. It is a 501(c)(3) organization of volunteers dedicated to serving the Oconee County Public Library System. All activities are undertaken for the purpose of contributing financial and volunteer assistance to supplement the library’s resources, support library programs and stimulate community awareness, use and involvement with the Library.
What do the Friends do?
- The Friends of the Library supplement the Oconee County Public Library funds used to purchase . . .
- Books (printed, audio and e-books) and other audio-visual materials.
- Children’s and Teens’ summer reading programs, and the Adult Summer Reading Program – including guest appearances, performances, programs and awards.
- Furnishings and accessories.
- The Friends sponsor discussion groups . . .
- The Friends organize . . .
- Used Book sales that help fund the purchase of new books for the libraries. (Held the second Thursday of every month at the Walhalla Library. In addition, Saturday sales are held three to four times a year.)
- Free Family Movie specials and outreach programs at all branch libraries.
- The Friends organize and sponsor “Read to Me”-in its 8th year, a program which supplies a tote bag of reading related materials (including a new board book) to mothers of newborns at Oconee Memorial Hospital to encourage them to begin reading to their children starting in infancy.
- The Friends provide assistance for special library programs and other services when requested.
- The Friends steward (supply and maintain) six Little Free Libraries: Fair Play Presbyterian Church, Lake Hartwell State Park, Long Creek Post Office, South Cove County Park, and West-Oak High School. NEW–High Falls County Park